Welcome! This is an educational website aimed at ordinary investors of all ages. I explain important truths about saving and investing, including what many call both the Boglehead Investment Philosophy and Common Sense Investing.
I don’t sell any financial products or services, only education.
I know only about USA tax laws and regulations. So if you live elsewhere your situation may be different.
Do you talk about money matters?
My experience is that we talk about money a lot, but we don’t have the right conversations. Is it naivete? Short-sightedness? Or, just an unfortunate social custom?
Much is unsaid, both within families and between friends. Few have good answers to questions like:
- Am I saving enough to fulfill my goals?
- How would I handle various emergencies?
- Will I eventually be able to retire comfortably?
- What would it cost to _____________________?
- What changes would I need to make to finance my dreams?
Conflicting messages make investing difficult
You work hard at saving. But are you doing a good job investing? There is a lot of conflicting information flying around. For example, the mutual fund industry tells us that professionals have the best chance of picking stocks that will outperform. At the same time, the discount brokerage firms are giving you tools so that you can pick stocks on your own, and earn excess returns by timing the market. Meanwhile, the mainstream financial media is telling us the hot funds to choose from and what the experts are predicting.
- The straight scoop
- from someone unbiased
- that isn’t selling you anything
- with solid expertise
- and can explain it all in plain English
That’s my goal! I want you to understand this as common sense investing—and then for you to take control of your finances. You’ll get the best results and remove the stress.
Learn how to become a smart investor. It is too expensive to hand this job off to somebody else. You are the best person to do this because you know what is most important to you. I’ll teach you how using video tutorials, books I’ve written, and books that I highly recommend. I help you learn from the world’s experts by bringing them to you (by video) and helping you understand their simple wisdom in plain English.
I’m a good instructor for you because:
- I have finance expertise (with an MBA in Finance from New York University)
- I’m analytical (with a BS in electrical engineering from Cornell University)
- I explain things in plain English
- I’m not biased. I’m will not sell you any financial products or services (just valuable education—books and courses)
Two people transformed my relationship with money and life
Thirty years ago, I met somebody who completely changed my relationship with money and life. Nobody would have called her wealthy. Yet, this woman woke up every morning with the freedom do whatever she desired. She had this freedom because she was financially independent. Her name is Vicki Robin and you may enjoy her book called Your Money or Your Life (2018 edition) or the 9-Step Course To Financial Independence with Financial Integrity.
Ten years ago, another person transformed my approach to investing—someone of impeccable character, integrity, and a snap-fit to my personal values. This man is John C. Bogle. His accomplishments include inventing the index fund and founding The Vanguard Group ( now the largest mutual fund company). But most admirably, he spent his lifetime as a champion of common sense investing for ordinary investors. You can read how he inspired me and enjoy some of his numerous and popular quotes. Tens of thousands of fans endearingly refer to themselves as Bogleheads.
I teach you how to finance your dreams
Financial independence is freedom—to spend your time as you choose. To focus on the joys of life. This website will help you learn to Take Control of Your Finances by helping you choose your lifestyle, spending, and investing—and to make financial decisions with ease and confidence.
Why do this when I could spend my time smelling roses? I honestly believe that helping others is the only way to live my life meaningfully. I describe here how others have inspired me to contribute in this way.
Would you like to become financially independent?
FinancingLife.org is all about helping you achieve your dreams. Some dreams require money and that’s our focus—to share with you time-proven wisdom in an easy-to-understand manner.
Working with me is investing in yourself
- You’ll learn how to make a personal investment plan.
- You’ll learn how to control investment risk, and never bear too much or too little.
- You’ll use money to create more options. Enable your dreams.
- You’ll get comfortable with your decisions. They’ll be better, and they will last longer.
- You will amplify your returns by fully capturing what you earn—no middleman skimmers.
There is no once-and-done solution. Consider subscribing as a painless way to make life-long learning part of your lifestyle.
- Rick Van Ness: My Story
- Meet the author: Rick Van Ness
- Contact Rick, Disclaimer, Disclosures
- Search This Site by phrase, visual index, or FAQs.
Start your journey today
Join over 250,000 others that have watched my videos. Subscribe to my email newsletter and I’ll send you a free article to say thanks.